Pumpkin Muffins with Pecan Streusel and Cinnamon Glaze
So our oven broke down recently and it’s been a bit, shall we say, different? Trying to squeeze a lot of your cooking and baking into one tiny toaster oven can be stressful at times. “Can I put the chicken pie out for just 15 minutes while I throw in these muffins? They need to bake like, now, so I can fit in a photo shoot before it gets dark.” (Which I didn’t actually accomplish because, you guessed it, it got dark) So there was quite a lot of hauling in and hauling out for a while. But let’s put all complications aside and focus on these muffins. They’re soft, moist, flavorful with a perfect amount of spice, and have a crumbly pecan struesel and sweet cinnamon glaze. Delicious for breakfast, brunch, coffee break…BTW, these are also still delicious without the struesel and glaze.
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1½ all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice*
- ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 6 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2½ Tbsp melted butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ Tbsp milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly toast pecans on a non-stick skillet just until fragrant. Set aside.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with 11 cupcake/muffin liners and grease with cooking spray, if needed.
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, sugar, water, pumpkin puree, and eggs.
- In another bowl, sift together flour and baking soda, (to ensure you don't get any lumps of flour in your muffins, talking from experience) and whisk in salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and fold with a spatula just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among your muffin tins.
- For the streusel, in a small bowl, combine pecans,flour, both sugars, cinnamon and melted butter and mix with a fork until evenly moistened and crumbs form.
- Sprinkle the streusel on the tops of the muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Let cool in the pans for 3 minutes before removing.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and cinnamon.
- Drizzle on the cooled muffins and enjoy!
Heaping 1 tsp nutmeg
Heaping ⅓ tsp ginger.
Heaping 1 tsp cinnamon