Apple Upside Down Cake Recipe
Apple season is here! And I can’t wait to get my hands on making (and sharing) classics such as apple turnovers and apple pies. But today I’m sharing a really great apple dessert that may not be a classic yet to many of you. Apple upside down cake. This cake is delicate and moist, with tender apples in a wonderful caramel. It is simply delicious warm from the oven, and you can serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Cake base adapted from SugarSpunRun.com
Caramel adapted from AverieCooks.com
- For the topping:
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups apples, peeled and diced (mine were fairly tart)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- For the cake:
- ½ cup butter, room temp
- Heaping ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk, room temp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour melted butter into a 9 in springform pan, making sure it covers the bottom of the pan well, and run the butter around the sides of the pan to grease it.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter.
- Toss the apples in cinnamon and nutmeg and spread evenly over the butter mixture, pressing them in.
- Beat butter and sugar in medium sized bowl until well combined and fluffy.
- Add eggs, beating them in one at a time until combined.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Alternate adding flour and milk to creamed mixture, starting and ending with flour. To avoid overmixing, do this part with a spatula.
- Pour cake batter into springform pan, spreading evenly over apple layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-37 minutes until lightly golden brown and
- toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Don't overbake.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes in cake pan then flip unto your serving platter. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
I put my milk in the microwave for a couple seconds (10-15 sec or so, do NOT let it get too hot)