Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze
I’m so excited to have shared the first pumpkin recipe of the season! I absolutely love fall and the warm, cozy baking. I made these scones for breakfast today and they were delicious! Even my mom, who is not a huge scone fan, said that they were the best scones she’s had and commented on how tasty they are. The glaze adds a perfect touch of flavor and the scones are so tender and moist. The perfect dainty to pair with a cup of hot tea.
This recipe was generously shared with us by our friend Lisa from Altona Colony.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Heaping tablespoon pumpkin pie spice*
- ½ cup cold butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Pumpkin spice glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1-2 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture and mix with a pastry cutter or your hands until it resembles course crumbs.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, molasses, heavy cream, egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir the pumpkin mixture into the flour and butter mixture and combine with a spatula or wooden spoon until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a well floured surface. Knead it (if needed) until it comes together.
- Pat the dough into a 10 in by 7 in rectangle. Cut the rectangle in half lengthwise.
- Working with one half at a time, pat the dough into a circle. Make sure it's not too thin. Then cut it into 4 equal pieces, cutting each piece in half so you have 8 pieces. Flour your hands and work surface as needed. Repeat the process with the other half.
- Place scones on parchment lined baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 12-13 minutes. Don't overbake.
- Let cool a bit then drizzle on glaze. Enjoy!
- For the glaze, whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg